Tourist attractions of Świdnica:
CHURCH OF PEACE (THE CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY)- one of the most
precious monuments in Poland, since the 13th of December 2001 it has been on
UNESCO World List of Cultural Heritage. It's considered the largest wooden
construction in Europe. It's the most sacred and valuable monument of Protestant
art in Silesia. The temple's original baroque interior is the only of its kind,
and sets it apart from other protestant churches. The church is surrounded by
one of the few remaining evangelical cemetries.
more info : www.kosciolpokoju.pl
address: Plac Pokoju 6,
open: from April to November, from Monday to Saturday from 9am to 1pm, on
Sundays from 3pm to 5pm
from November to March- telephone booking (074) 852-28-14
tickets: adults- 5zł / students - 3 zł
THE PARISH CHURCH OF SS. Stanisław and Wacław - its construction, funded by
Bolko II Świdnicki, began in 1330. The church has the tallest tower in Silesia,
the second one in Poland as far as its height is concerned. The Baroque interior
embellishments and furniture dates from the turn of the seventeenth and
eighteenth centuries. The most precious decorative elements are: the Gothic
altar of the Dormition of the Virgin in a form of pentaptych, the pulpit and the
central altar, modeled after the altar at Paris's Val de Grace Church.
more info: www.bazylika.org
address: Plac Jana Pawła II, tel. (074) 852-27-29
open every day
THE TOWN HALL - a tradehouse standing in the middle of the Marketplace, fist
mentioned in 1291, with its townhall tower were a symbol of independence. The
Gothic Councillors' Chamber is the only room in the townhall which preserved
relics of its original decoration. The interior was ornamented with religious
paintings, partly preserved. In 1663, the chamber was transformed into a chapel.
The entrance is embellished with a porch made of yellow sandstone in 1720 at the
time of rebuilding the townhall after the great fire of 1716. The profusely
sculptured entrance opening is framed by two columns with Corinthian capitals
supporting the first fllor balcony. The wooden two-wing door preserved the
THE COLUMN OF THE HOLY TRINITY - Centrum of the city
The Baroque column is made of red sandstone. The statue by an
anonymous artist was founded in 1693 by a governor Joachimus von Sinzendorf. The
foundator after his death in 1697 was buried in the parish church of SS.
Stanisław and Wacław.
THE GROUP OF SCULPTURES IN THE TOWNHALL - the works by
the local artist Georg Leonard Weber; the statues of SS. Florian and John
Nepomucen standing in the corners of the inter-market space, as well as
mythological edifices of Atlas and Neptune adorning two fountains. The most
impressive is the well with Neptune, from 1732.The hexagon pod is made of
sandstone panels decorated with Świdnica coat of arms, with mayor Johann
Schaffgotsch coat of arms, with the double imperial eagle, the Czech lion and
the eagle of the Świdnica-Jawor princedom. Above the pod there is a group
sculpture made of aquarius, sea-horses and dominant Neptune holding a trident in
his hand. Primarily, water jetting out off the chaliace held by the aquarius,
off the horses' mouths and off the trident provident an addditional attraction.
THE TOWNHOUSES - The Old City of Świdnica has been preserved
in its general shape since the Middle Ages. The operations of the 2nd World War
omitted the city and it avoided destruction. That is why the old city is
considered the most distinguished urban development in Lower Silesia, comparable
for its value to the old cities of Kraków and Toruń. There are many buildings of
the Gothic, Renaissance ( a porch of the house nr 6 in Marketplace, nr 7 in
Grodzka St.), Baroque ( the little house in 24 Pułaski St.), Classicist and
Secession (Jagielońska St., Księcia Bolka St.)architectural style.
THE FORTIFICATIONS - they started probably in the second half of the 13th
century. At the end of the 15th century Świdnica had 8 gates leading to the
city. At the gates, in order to defend them better, towers and turrets were
built. These are the relics of the first city defences: the gate turret and St.
Barbara's Chapel in Zamkowa (Castle) St., and fragments of walls in Aleja
Niepodległości (Independence Avenue) and in Wrocław St. After conquering of
Silesia by Prussia in 1740, the authorities decided to convert the city into a
fortress to protect the foregrounds of the Wrocław fortress. After the Seven
Years War (1756-1763), the army authorities started modernising and rebuilding
the fortifications. All the works, however, didn't influence improvement of the
fortress defence system. In 1807, the Napoleon army didn't have any difficulties
conquering the city. There are a lot of elements preserved from the period of
Friedrich II. Especially the underground constructions escaped demolition,
because for financial reasons they were covered with a layer of soil. The
transport casemate of the embankment along the parish church is the most
impressive piece. A section of 260 meters is preserved in the perfect condition.
The exterior casemate of Witoszowska Gate, the exterior caponier in Żeromski
Street, and the interior one in Kapturowa Gate are preserved as well. One can
notice, especially in parks, traces of forts, redoubts and curtains.
THE OLD TRADING MUSEUM - in the museum's collection there are
exhibits referring to the history of trade: balances/scales, weights, measuring
cups, antique cash registers, old coins etc.. There are also displays being the
reconstructions of the interiors of an ancient shop, chemist's and tavern.
Rynek 37, tel. (074) 852-12-91
opening hours: from Tuesday to Friday from 10am to 3pm, on Saurdays and Sundays
from 11am to 5pm
tickets: adults 3 zł, students: 2 zł, free entrance on Fridays
more info: www.muzeum-kupiectwa.art.pl
THE WEAPON AND MILITARY OBJECTS MUSEUM - located in the caponiere of the former
Prussian fortress. there is the collection of weapons coming from the 19th and
20th centuries along with some other military objects of that period. In the
other part of the building there is an attested rifle range.
address: al. Niepodległości 26, tel. (074) 852-52-34
opening hours: Tuesday to Fridayod from 11am to 2pm, on Saturdays and Sundays
from 10am to 2pm
tickets: adults 3 zł , children up to 10 - 1zł, students - 2 zł
more info: www.militaria.dziennik.swidnica.pl
THE TOWER OF STRZEGOMSKA GATE AND CHURCH OF SAINT BARBARA - it was adorned in
the 16th century, and the remains of the city gate, which indicates the old city
limits. Splendid paintings of plants can be found in the church.
THE PELTACOSTAL CHURCH - from the 17th century. There historical remains from
the castle can be found. The decorative entranceway from the year 1537 deserves
THE CHURCH OF SAINT JOSEPH - its interior is richly decorated in the
rococo style. Built in the 18th century, it was inhabitet by nuns - the
Ursulines. Because of scarcity of place the church was located untypically - in
the frontage, perpendicularly to the street.
THE BULLS HOUSE - since 1882 contains a pharmacy. Especially remarkable
decorations of this neo-renaissance building are the life-sized sculptures of
address: Kazimierza Pułaskiego and Długa street, near Wolności Square